Change background image
  1. What's up? I see you're viewing as a Guest. How about registering, it only takes like 2 minutes. This will enable you to do more on our forum and stay updated.

[TuT] How to Add "Open with Notepad" to Context Menu

Discussion in 'PC General' started by Sh0tGuN2197, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 180 days old.
  1. Sh0tGuN2197

Sh0tGuN2197 *Shotty* Super-Mod

Since the default method of opening unknown files is going through the list of known applications, why not make that simpler? This method is generally a pain to deal with, and thats why I like to have the "Open in Notepad" Option in my context menu without having to go through the painstaking process.

This Registry hack isn't something new, and has been around for quite some time, but I sure do love it. Also not that you can use this process with other programs too. I am not going to take care of that right now, but I am sure you can figure it out.

[​IMG]

Manual Registy Hack

First your going to want to open regedit.exe. You can either search for this in the search bar, or just open "Run" and type "regedit". Once that is open, search for the following key:
    Code:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell
    [​IMG]

Right-click on "shell" and create a new key. Call this new key "Open with Notepad". Now do the same, and right-click "Open with Notepad". Call the new key "command". Double-Click on "(Default)" in the right hand pane and enter the following:
    Code:
    notepad.exe %1
    The change should be effective right when you do so. just right-click on any file, and you will see the new option.

Download the Registry Hack

Just download the registry file and double click the OpenWithNotepad.reg file to enter the info into the registy for you. I will also have an uninstall file available.
    I guess now you will have to extract the files if you wish to download the .zip

Install Script
    • Mediafire
    • Multiupload

Un-Install Script
    • Mediafire
    • Multiupload

Install / uninstall Scripts
    • Direct Download

Source Page: Here
  2. Crazy52

Crazy52 Gate Keeper Admin

added the real download link
  3. Sh0tGuN2197

... dude? I didn't figure out how to do this at howtogeek.com O.o Why is that the real download link?
  4. Crazy52

Crazy52 Gate Keeper Admin

thats the super power we all know as google
  5. 3nvisi0n

3nvisi0n The R3v0lu710n Super-Mod

6. Sh0tGuN2197

I didn't get it from there, it was a post from somewhere else I believe that I had the HTML file for. I will just sour it to how-to geek then. Idk what else I could do... I just rewrote what the HTML said while I didn't have Internet. But I'll add the source. I guess the same for the Run command in start menu since I had the HTML for that also...
Thread Status:
This thread is more than 180 days old.