Change background image
  1. What's up? I see you're viewing as a Guest. How about registering, it only takes like 2 minutes. This will enable you to do more on our forum and stay updated.

Story: So, You Want to Be an Ethical Hacker...

Discussion in 'PC General' started by vettacossx-alpha, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 180 days old.
  1. vettacossx-alpha

vettacossx-alpha Midnight Mage Member

[​IMG]
    Marc Maiffret woke up one morning at his mother's home in Southern California, feeling something against his head. It was an FBI agent with his gun drawn, ordering him not to move. The agent yanked the covers off Maiffret as other agents ran outside his window, surrounding the house. Maiffret's hacking exploits in the last two years had finally caught up to him. He was 17 years old.

"It's not like I was going to do any physical harm," said Maiffret, referring to the way he was frisked for weapons and asked to have his hands up as if he were a potentially violent criminal. "But when you're a hacker, it's just like you're a drug dealer or something."

Despite his dramatic capture, Maiffret was released without charges for lack of incriminating evidence. Fifteen years later today, he is still a hacker -- but an ethical hacker, and the CTO of eEye Digital Security, an Irvine Calif.-based security technology provider he co-founded in 1998.

"It served as a wake up call," said Maiffret. "But with that hacking experience, I ended up getting a job at an e-biz software company doing security for them. That's where I came up with Retina, my first hacking security tool, that showed companies what their sites looked like to hackers."

As more businesses put sensitive data online, the number of malicious hacks is increasing -- and so is the need for "white-hat" hackers.

http://it-jobs.fins.com/Articles/SB128916361572754531/So-You-Want-to-Be-an-Ethical-Hacker
Thread Status:
This thread is more than 180 days old.