Change background image
  1. What's up? I see you're viewing as a Guest. How about registering, it only takes like 2 minutes. This will enable you to do more on our forum and stay updated.

How to host a web server on your computer

Discussion in 'PC General' started by Nuke547, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 180 days old.
  1. Nuke547

Nuke547 Junior Member Member

Today, I'm going to show you how to host a web server on your very own computer.

The program you'll be needing is XAMPP. You can download this here:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

When installing, once the cmd prompt opens up, just use all of the default settings it has setup there.

Once everything is setup, first, you want to start up the XAMPP control panel, and start up Apache. This will start up your server.

Once you've setup apache, you want to locate here:

Code:
    C:\xampp\htdocs
    That is where you will be putting all your files that you want others to see.

To easily view your files in your browser, just type in the url bar:

Code:
    localhost or 127.0.01
    for now.

Next thing you want to do, is go to your command prompt, and type in

Code:
    ipconfig
    Alot of text will come up, but you want to get your default gateway.

[​IMG]

In my case, since I'm using a 2wire, it is 192.168.1.254, but if your using a linksys, you would want to go to 192.168.1.1. But if thats not it, get your default gateway, and thats what you would type in to go to your router settings.

You may look up on youtube, how to portforward, but in this case, you will want to portforward port 80 with UDP and TCP.

Once done, you may now go to http://whatismyip.com and get your ip.

Now type that ip in your url bar.

If all goes well, you have succesfully portforwarded, you have setup your web server!

I suggest using no-ip for domains on your computer, from .com's, to .hopto.org.

You can do this by going to no-ip.org and signing up, registering a host, and downloading the program. You can then go to the domain you registered.

And there you have your own web server on your computer!
  2. Jok3r

Jok3r MC-Admin/Summoner Member

Yo could you teach me how to set up a minecraft server???
    or is this basically how?[xat]hmm#angel[/xat]
  3. SLODDIR

SLODDIR New Member Member

lynksis? you mean linksys? olol
  4. Nuke547

Nuke547 Junior Member Member

Well, you would host a minecraft server, but you would have to port forward port 25565
  5. Xtermination

Xtermination New Member Member

i been wondering how to do this thanks man
  6. dns

dns Active Member Admin

Anyone who does this to host a server, please make sure you have decent latency first so you don't go around hosting laggy ass servers for anything. Just sayin'
Thread Status:
This thread is more than 180 days old.