Change background image
  1. What's up? I see you're viewing as a Guest. How about registering, it only takes like 2 minutes. This will enable you to do more on our forum and stay updated.

Help! Which Linux should I choose?

Discussion in 'Linux General' started by dns, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 180 days old.
  1. dns

dns Active Member Admin

The first question people who haven't used a Linux OS or are new to it in general usually ask me is, "Which Linux should I use?". My response has and always will be that I cannot tell you which one you would personally enjoy the most or find the most useful.

There are very many different (Free) distributions available to choose from. They vary in style, features, compatibility, options, purpose, etc. It all depends on what you're expecting it to do for you personally and what you plan to be using it for.

Here in this section, we will be listing and linking you to many different Linux distributions, along with it's Wiki Page for you to completely get the feel of what it may have to offer you before you choose to try it. Although this will not truly tell you if it's right for you, it can give you a better idea whether it's worth you trying it or not.

Most current Linux distributions have an available "Live CD" download available on their website. You can download these, burn them to a disc, and boot into the Linux OS from the CD without even having to install it on your computer permanently. This gives you a chance to experiment and check it out before you decide to either partition/add it to your current setup, or fully re-install with strictly the Linux platform itself.

Please feel free to take your time and find the Linux Distribution that you feel best suits your needs. If you're a beginner and/or used to the Windows OS, you may want to do some research on the basic Linux commands and other compatibility issues with your system before attempting to use them. Although most of them do nowadays come with a fairly simple GUI, some still rely alot on manually typed commands in the console, and knowledge of those syntax and commands is important.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you are able to find the Linux that works best for you!
    Brandon likes this.
  2. Crazy52

Crazy52 Gate Keeper Admin

That Lubuntu

Sent from my Incredible 2
  3. American

American Little. Lovable. Lolis!! Admin

because lubuntu is legit ::problemo::
  4. dns

dns Active Member Admin

I think i'll make an addition to this.

If you want to run a web or virtual server, I suggest CentOS which is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and is widely popular and easy to find help online for setting things up. Many, many tutorials.

If you want to be secure and private, you should check out Tails. Connects via tor and doesn't store things you don't want people to see. Just google for the best way to go about making it even more secure.

If you are a linux newbie you will probably want the newest Ubuntu with Gnome. Built in package manager, Debian architecture and simple GUI. Easy to use, lots of guides for setting it up, and you can even make it feel like windblowz.
  5. aazcod

aazcod Dns is gey Member

From personal experience of being on the noob side of linux, I would recommend anything ubuntu based, as long as your installing a Linux-os for normal computer stuff. anything else i wouldnt know about, but when I started using linux I started with ubuntu then moved to lubuntu. That is my "Advice" but im still a noob so only use mine as reading material. Stick with the pro's for real advice. LOL
Thread Status:
This thread is more than 180 days old.